Sunday, June 18, 2006

Now that I've been here for a few days, I figured I'd give you an idea of what a typical day is for me. Most days I get out of bed about 6:30am. However, I'm usually woken up MANY times before that during the night because of all the animal noises - dogs, goats, donkeys, cows, chickens, roosters, various other birds. It's pretty much impossible to sleep straight through the night where I'm living now. After I get out of bed, it's bucket bath time. There's a tap that comes out of the ground in the backyard that I use to fill up my bucket and then I proceed to the 'shower' area. Yes, we do actually have running water! However, that just means there's a tap that the water comes out of. It's still a bucket bath and then the 'latrine' does consist of a hole in the ground. After showering and getting dressed, I'll usually sit down for breakfast with either the father, the mother, or both. Breakfast always consists of a piece of french bread with a little mayo and Nescafe (instant coffee).

After breakfast, I head off to the training center which is only a 5 minute bike ride away. Quite a few of the other 32 trainees live in the small surrounding villages so they have a bike ride of a few miles and they definitely don't have running water. The morning consists of 2 training sessions that vary each day. Either technical teaching seminars, language, medical, safety and security, or cultural cross training. Usually I'll eat lunch at the training center - some type of salad or spaghetti.

The afternoon consists of another 2 sessions from the items I mentioned above and then we wrap up about 5:15pm. I'll usually stay a little longer and work on my French and then head home about 6ish. When I get home, one of the World Cup matches is almost always on. Oh yeah, I have electricity where I live too! The World Cup is huge here - there are 3 West African teams playing: Ivory Coast (who most people here root for), Togo, and Ghana. Having the World Cup on has been a BIG help. Since I can't communicate very well with the family, having the game on is a way to sit down together and not say very much, but still not feel too uncomfortable.

Dinner is usually served either during or right after the soccer game. The meals so far have been good. It's varied between couscous, spaghetti, to (traditional meal here - I'll talk more about it later, pronounced 'toe'), rice with beans, fish stew. Usually there will be some type of meat sauce, but I typically don't really know what the meat is. The only 'challenging' meal so far has been the fish stew. It consisted of peas and a few large pieces of fish. I lucked out and won the jackpot and found the head of the fish staring at me in my bowl. I couldn't actually bring myself to eat the entire fish head, but I did my best to eat around it. After dinner, there's often some type of fruit for dessert - mango, pineapple, melon. It's mango season right now so they're everywhere.

At this point, it's usually about 9 or 10 and I head off to bed and either study, read a little, or write. Between classes and the heat, I'm fairly exhausted by this point so I'm usually asleep under my mosquito net around 11ish.

That's a rundown of what most days here for me are like. During my training, I'll most likely try and put up a post every week or 2. There's plenty more to write about, however if you have any specific questions about anything here - please either post a comment or email me the question and I'll do my best to answer. Tomorrow's Sunday so there's no training and I get to just relax for the day. :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bry,

Good to hear that you are adjusting to your new surroundings. I guess it beats slugging it out in the snow on 128 to sit in a cube with the Livelink gang. 90 degrees hear for the first time.

Stay safe, Steve M

Anonymous said...

Bryan - Sorry I missed your call on Father's day. I was in church in Beloxi, Miss. and shut the phone off. I appreciate your thoughtfullness. It sounds that you are leading a very interesting life there. Your blog is appreciated by all of us back home. We are all following it. I imagine it is very hot.How hot is it there? I also saw that you have the deep hole for a toilet and you won the grand prize of the fish head. Stay safe. Keep in touch. Love dad

Anonymous said...

Bonjour du Canada. Nous pensons à vous. Appréciez cette expérience.

Avec amour,

Votre cousine Jo-Anne

P.S. thought you might want to practice :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are doing well Bryan. Stay Safe, Gordon

Anonymous said...

Hey man,

It's great reading about your adventures so far. Sounds like everything is going well. I'll be expecting you to come home with exceptional soccer skills! :o)

Later,
Mike

Anonymous said...

Hey Bryan,

I work with a woman who is from China. She said that the fish head is actually a luxury and her family all fight over who gets the head and they love the snapping of the eyes. So I guess you really were lucky to get that in your bowl of stew. You know me, if I won't eat peas I certainly won't eat fish head. Glad to see you're doing so well. I give you credit because I know I would never survive. When you come back we'll enter you on the show Survivor and maybe you can be the million dollar winner. Stay safe and keep updating your blog. I'm sharing it with all of my co-workers. You should be quite proud of yourself and we are of you.

Love,
Patty, Grammy, Lilly, Bailey & Mitts

Anonymous said...

Hey Bry,

It sounds like you are having a good time. hehe. I'm so proud of you!!! I am so in awe that you are doing this, you make me want to go to Burkina and teach some HIP HOP Classes . I just wanted to take time and send you a comment before I leave for NYC. I will be there all summer just taking classes with Ramon. He says Hi by the way. I won't have internet access in NYC cuz i'll be poor and I won't have access to a computer. But when I get to one I'll send you a comment. Sounds like you are adjusting to the Burkina culture. I can't wait to visit. Possibly!!! 8-) I love you ...Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
6/25
I checked your weather for the next ten days--are you still in the rainy season?! And if yes, how well does your mosquito net protect you from the rain? Looks like next week the temps during the day will be just under 100 degrees and just under 80 at night.

Have you learned anything surprising from the cultural cross training?

I'm happy you sound so good.
Ben says hello.
Big hug,
Roxanne

Anonymous said...

Hey Bryan;

Glad to hear things are working out for you. Sounds like you'll have an adventure to tell us about, I look forward to the updates. Remember, Let me know what you'll need and I'll send that care package for you. Sue Sidahmed gave me the URL so you can blame her for me being around. Good luck, Stay safe..

Jim Mc
Je ne parle pas le français