Sunday, August 06, 2006

There’s a light at the end of the tunnel

It’s hard to believe it, but there’s only 3 weeks of training left - 2 weeks remaining in Ouahigouya and then the 3rd week will be spent in Ouaga (the capital) doing mostly administrative stuff in preparation for swearing in as a volunteer on August 25th. Keep in mind that the Peace Corps is a government entity so there’s always plenty of paperwork / administrative stuff that needs to be done.

So right now we’re exactly halfway through the 4 weeks of model school. Every morning I teach a math lesson for an hour in French. I enjoy the teaching part of it, but it can be pretty frustrating at times because my level of interaction with the students is limited by my ability (or inability) to speak French. I can get my point across and I usually can understand any questions they have, however it’s often hard for me to formulate the response I want with my limited vocabulary. I took another language test this past Friday which I should probably know the result of on Monday. The final language test is on the 19th by which time I’m supposed to be at the required level. I’ve grown fairly accustomed to people telling me, ‘ca va aller!’ I think this translates to something like ‘things will work out.’

I finally had the opportunity to bust out my medical kit this past week. I took a couple of pretty good spills while playing soccer Thursday evening. I managed to go head over heels and land on my back one time. It was interesting having people run up to me and ask me if I was ok in French when I couldn’t even reply back in English since I totally had the wind knocked out of me for a couple of minutes. The other time I just fell and scraped up my knee. We play on a dirt and gravel field where some of the rocks are the size of bricks so any fall is going to at least result in a scrape. Anyhow, in the medical sessions that we’ve had they’ve emphasized how easy it is to get an infection here so I made sure to clean everything out and use some antibiotic ointment. The medical kit they gave is fairly impressive. There’s everything from band-aids and pain medicine to Tamiflu in case of the avian flu and medicine to begin treatment in case we think we have malaria. (There hasn’t been a confirmed case of the bird flu in Burkina since May 19th. We’re actually not allowed to prepare chicken because of this. We can eat it, just not prepare it.)

A similar topic is the water that I drink here. We’ve all been supplied with a water filter that looks like a large bucket on the bottom with a smaller one on the top of that. You put the water in the top bucket and it then passes through 2 filters. After that, you need to add 2 drops of bleach for every liter of water. In the end, it tastes like you’re drinking warm pool water, but at least it’s safe. They also supply us with cups for when we travel that use iodine to purify the water which gives it an unpleasant taste. Also, you can only use this for a limited number of days at a time since it’s not good for your body to have too much iodine. There’s also the option of boiling the water for a few minutes, but this usually isn’t feasible. Finally, there are places you can buy (at least in the cities) bottled or plastic packets (saches) of water that are safe to drink. These you can often get cold which is always nice.

I have found out some more information about the village that I’ll be moving to at the end of August. (Baraboule) The people who live there are called the Puhl. The main difference with this ethnicity from the others in Burkina is that they’re not cultivators. They’re main occupation is as cattle herders. This also makes them semi-nomadic when it’s not the rainy season since they’ll often need to go wherever there’s water for the animals to drink. From what I understand, they will almost never kill one of their animals, but rather use them almost solely for their milk. The animals are considered sacred and are treated more like pets in the sense that people actually get attached to them and there’s a sense of loss when one dies. One other interesting fact I learned is that when they eat, they’ll almost always leave some food on their plate. (even if they haven’t eaten in a couple days) I think this is to show some strength or will power over the food in that they don’t need to finish it. I don’t think the food actually gets wasted, but rather probably gets passed along to the children. The last thing I’ll mention right now is that this group also has the reputation of being more reserved and hard to get to know. It sounds like you really need to give it some time to be accepted into the community compared to some of the other ethnic groups. There’s a book I have that has a pretty good write-up of the Puhl which someone is borrowing write now. It’s a travel guide devoted to Burkina which I think is published by a company called Bradts. As far as I know, it’s the only travel guide in English that’s solely devoted to Burkina. I’ll try and describe the information on the Puhl once I get the book back.

The address that I supplied earlier will work throughout my 2 years of service. (The PCT in the address will change to PCV once I swear in as a volunteer: PCT = Peace Corps Trainee, PCV = Peace Corps Volunteer.) That address goes to the Peace Corps bureau in the capital where I can pick up my mail whenever I’m there. Once I’m at my site, I’ll probably also get an address in my regional capital (Djibo) which is about 30-km away from my village. So both will always get to me at some point.
Ok, that’s it for this week. Pretty soon, I should also have some links to blogs being kept up by other trainees in my group. It might be interesting to read about some of their stories since everyone’s experience is a little different even though we’re going though almost the same thing. Also, writing has never been once of my strong points so I can imagine that some of their stories might be a little more spiced up. Hope everyone’s enjoying their summer!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bryan,

So good to hear that you are acclimating to your new surroundings. The French will just get easier...you won't have a choice...and you'll be amazed at the vocabulary you have in a short time.

I cannot imagine having to go through all that you have to go through just to get drinkable water. That blows my mind. I will never take a swig of water for granted again.

Take good care of yourself. It's always great to get the latest blog.

Keep up the great work. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Brother Shawn

Anonymous said...

Hi Bryan,

Glad to hear you're finding time to enjoy yourself. Be careful with the soccer. Remember Ari's injury. Kevin was telling me about a powdered drink mix that he gets at GNC. It sounds alot like Gatorade and they sell it in individual servings. I'm on vacation this week so I'll get to the mall and pick some up. I was afraid to mail a package this late since I knew you were moving soon, but now that I know the address is the same, I'll send it along. Mitts is getting really big. He's almost six pounds and still full of it. I'll send along some pictures for you.

The Sox have run into some trouble since the all star break and have dropped to two games behind the Yankees and 1/2 gambe back in the wildcard. Quite a few on the disabled list...Wakefield (rib stress fracture, Varitek (knee surgery), Mirabelli injured himself this past week along with Lowell however they have not been put on the disabled list. Wells just got back and has pitched two games which were horrible. Both resulted in losses. Clement, Foulke and DiNardo are still out however Foulke may be activated this week. We have a tough schedule ahead of us so hopefully things will improve real soon.

I'm glad to hear that animals are treated sacred since hearing about the previous volunteers eating cats. You know that would never go over in our family. I'm sure you're doing better than you think with the French and that the students are learning quite a bit from you. Anyway it sounds as if you're remaining positive and not letting any obstacles get to you. Keep up the good work and be safe.

Love Patty

Anonymous said...

Hi hon - I'm in Nova Scotia with Aunt Dorothy and Uncle Brian reading your blog. For god's sake, don't tell me anything about any soccer injuries. I've been down that road too much. Ari's still suffering the effects of her original injury. Glad to hear you're being real careful about infections - don't take any chances. JoAnne got married on Saturday - you met Stephane at your going away party. He's a really great guy and also a pretty lucky guy - he's got a gorgeous wife who loves him. A guy can't get much better than that. We're anxiously awaiting all your blogs - it's so great to hear from you. I missed the telephone call last Sunday, but at least I was able to get the details from dad. He'll be up here next week, so I'm looking forward to that. All the MacDonalds and in-laws send their love. Take care and love you lots. Blessings. Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Bryan,

I knew I should have given you a few more soccer lessons before you went abroad. Soccer is best played from on your feet and not on your back :o).

Things sound like they are going well for you. I enjoy hearing about all of your activities and future plans. You'll do fine in French once you get the hang of it.

A little news from the home front....we are still awaiting little Ryan. He is 39 weeks and could come any time. His due date is the 22nd but I'll be sure to let you know when he decides he's ready to brave the world.

Good luck with everything and we'll talk to you soon.

~Mike

Anonymous said...

Hi Bryan: It was good talking to you this past Sunday. I took Ari out to Amherst College for tennis camp. She comes home this Friday and we will leave for Nova Scotia on Saturday for a week. I spoke to Mike's dad (Prodoc's Mike) recently. Had a question and he asked about you. Glad to see that you are doing well. I sent you 2 packages this past week and will send you another before I leave for Nova Scotia. A priest from Ethiopia came to our parish and he brought a bottle of the water which people drink from the rivers. It was totally black.It is hard to believe but I also saw it there in Tanzania. So be careful about your water. To let everyone else know who reads the blog and these messages, I bought a new calling card called "African Nights". It costs $5.00 and I get 120 minutes on it. I used it for the first time last week speaking to Bryan and the reception was very clear and there was hardly no delay in talking. Bryan was out in the boondocks bicycling towards Mali(about 50 Kilometers from there) and it worked quite well.
Anyway, keep up the good work. Quite a few people almost every day ask how you are doing? We are all very proud of what you are doing. THe sox as of */8/06 are 3 games behind the Yankees and tied with the White Sox for the wildcard. I will call you soon. Love dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Bryan,

First I want to apologize for not writing sooner. To be honest I just spent the last 20 minutes or so reading all of your posts since this was the first time I vistied your blog.

It sounds like you're having quite the experience over there. I'm glad to hear you have not had many problems with getting sick and only a few bumps and bruises from soccer.

I can't imagine trying to acclimate to the local cultures. It also sounds like once you start to learn one of the local languages that you go to another town/city and have to learn a new one. That would drive me crazy.

Things here are going well. Benjamin has slowed down growing but his vocabulary and personality are growing every day. Jenn is also doing well although she is going to start looking for a new job and I've been busy at my work preparing for a big merger in October.

Good luck on passing your final language test. I will try to write more often and I will look into the calling card so I can try to give you a call within the next couple of weeks.

Take care.
Chris

Anonymous said...

Hi bry your Dad and Richard and I (Paul) are here in Antigonish . WE played golf today and will do so tomorrow-- wish you were here to enjoy the great company and weather.

Mike said...

Bryan,

I just came across your journal about your adventures in Burkina Faso. I added a link to your page to a database I collected of Peace Corps Journals and blogs:

http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/

Features:
1. Contains over 1,400 journals and blogs from Peace Corps Volunteers serving around the world.
2. Each country has its own detailed page, which is easily accessible with a possible slow Internet connection within the field.
3. The map for every country becomes interactive, via Google, once clicked on.
4. Contact information for every Peace Corps staff member worldwide.
5. Official rules and regulations for current PCV online Journals and blogs. Those rules were acquired from Peace Corps Headquarters using the Freedom of Information Act.
6. Links to Graduate School Programs affiliated with Peace Corps, along with RPCVs Regional Associations.

There is also an e-mail link on every page. If you want to add a journal, spotted a dead link, or have a comment.

Thanks for volunteering with the Peace Corps!

-Mike Sheppard
RPCV / The Gambia